Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Monday, November 29, 2010
Monday, November 22, 2010
Watch Green River Ordinance's cover of Justin Bieber's Baby here; love it? download it here.
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Basically the issue here is that two Christian republicans are having an issue that a Jewish republican is in the run for the bid to be Texas House Speaker. They cite in an email that he should not be considered because he is not a good Christian (and that this does not qualify him as a republican either).
Yes, I am Jewish, but NO I have no problem with people of other faiths; the problem that I have with this whole dilemma is that these men think that Straus is not qualified to be the Texas House Speaker because of his religion. They deny this and say that the examples they used were mere facts about the other men they were mentioning, but it is pretty clear in the fact that most of the correspondence is centered around Straus's religion.
This is just another example of religious intolerance and elitism. Religion does not qualify you for any political jobs; beliefs and convictions are what should qualify a person for those positions.
I am not a political person and I am not trying to make a political statement. I am not trying to bash one religion or put one over another; if it was reversed, I'd still see something wrong with it.
Friday, November 19, 2010
Now one of the most widely known breast cancer cure finding, awareness, and fundraising efforts, Susan G. Komen started out as a grassroots initiatives with those goals in mind. Each Komen affiliate works hard to raise funds to educate people about breast cancer, fund mammograms, support those who have been affected by cancer, and to help find a cure. Many different types of events are hosted, but the most popular one is the Komen 5K Race for the Cure.
It is amazing to see how many people show up for this 5K; whether you have breast cancer or know someone who does, it is such a moving event. I have always walked it with my friends, and it's just a fun way to hang out and do good for a worthy cause. I walk for my friends who have been affected by the disease and this is a cause that I am more than proud to support. The event puts a positive spin on something that is so tragic; it showcases the human spirit and will to live, learn, and move forward.
Here are some pictures from the walk in Dallas from last October
Check out the Dallas affiliate of Komen here, and the official Komen website here
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Stirring the mushrooms constantly helps release their juices, allowing them to caramelize quickly. Complete the meal with Wedge Salad with Sour Cream-Mustard Seed Dressing or roasted potatoes.
Prep: 1 minute; Cook: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 1 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak and 1/4 cup sauce)
- 4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray. Add steaks to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Transfer steaks to a serving platter; keep warm.
2. Add mushrooms to pan. Coat mushrooms with cooking spray; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until liquid almost evaporates. Remove pan from heat; add butter and rosemary, stirring until butter melts. Pour sauce over steaks.
- Calories: 244
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 23.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.8g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 235mg
- Calcium: 24mg
Monday, November 15, 2010
On Musiqtone, check out my review of Good Charlotte's new album, Cardiology, check out Bayside's new song on facebook, and watch Days Difference's video for Speakers,
The Get Up Kids announce tour dates
Ashlyne Huff premiered her new single "White Flag"
Paris Carney released an EP on iTunes-give it a listen before you buy it.
Check out the Behind the Video for Ryan Star's Start A Fire here.
Sing Me Insomnia released a new song on facebook
Daytrotter has new sessions from Les Shelleys, Christopher the Conquered, El Ten Eleven, Woodsmen, Peter Wolf Crier, and Gamble House.
The top ten tracks for free download on Tweet for a Track are
- Don't Stop Now Live-The Maine
- Good Times-Christofer Drew
- Honoroll-Gab Gotcha
- Movie-Ameeth Thomas
- Like a G6/On The Wing (Go Periscope Remix)-Go Periscope
- Nopainnogain Demo-Christofer Drew
- We Owe This to Ourselves-Anberlin
- Love Come Save The Day (Ahmed Sirour remix)-Yahzarah
- No Excuses-Attack! Attack!
- Right Now-Austin Gibbs
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
The first band up was Ty Mayfield; Ty is from Oklahoma, but going to college in Dallas and studying Music Business-he's a really cool guy. His music reminds me of Jack's Mannequin and a little bit of Jason Mraz. He plays the keyboard and sings; he is very lively and animated and has a great voice. His passion is very visible when he plays and you can really tell how much he loves making and performing his music. His set included songs from EP, The Curveball EP including The Curveball and Love In The Making. He also did an awesome cover of Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone.
For Ty Mayfield, check him out on Myspace, YouTube, iTunes, Amazon, Facebook, and Twitter.
After Ty was Hope; Hope is a really chill, positive girl who has a voice that reminds me of Norah Jones. I love the calmness and serenity in her voice and in her songs. Her lyrics are honest, deep, and come from a very real place. Her set was very simple and stripped. She performed with an acoustic guitar accompanied only with bongos, and Mike Robins on guitar. The whole band was really into the performance; it seems that her lyrics hit home with more people than just herself. Hope's songs are beautiful and very meaningful; her set included Who Am I To Say, Bring Me Flowers, and Love, Love, Love which she actually recorded with Jason Mraz.
For more Hope, check out her Myspace, iTunes, Twitter, Official Site, Facebook.
Days Difference played next; seriously, every time I see them, they get better than the time before (though the private acoustic show I went to was the best I've ever seen). Lately, they've released a mixtape of older and new songs and have begun to add new songs to their set. They always have a lot of energy to give to the crowd and I feel like touring with Ryan Star has helped them gain more fans who are a little different than their normal audience. In their set, we heard a new song, Don't Let Go, as well as favorite songs including Wake Up Your Heart, Sunrise, and Speakers.
For more Days Difference, check out their Myspace, Facebook, Big Cartel, iTunes, Twitter, and YouTube.
Headlining this tour and bringing that night's show to an awesome end was Ryan Star. Ryan star is a very talented musician from Long Island. He's been around for a while, first in a band called Stages, and now solo with an awesome back up band. His lyrics and songs come from a very deep place and although they make you think, they are relateable in that they make you think about things you have experienced in your life. His music is very rock and very heavy with guitar, kind of reminding me of Daughtry or Nickleback. His vocals are amazing, and when his voice accompanied by his keyboardist's voice, the songs become that much more moving and deep. His set included older songs, as well as new songs from his new album, 11:59 such as Brand New Day, Last Train Home, Psycho Suicidal Girl, and Start a Fire.
For more Ryan Star, check him out on his Official Website, Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, and iTunes.
For more videos from this and other shows, check out my YouTube channel.
Monday, November 8, 2010
On Musiqtone, check out Ingrid Michaelson's new video in the Premiere Box and get to know more about Valencia on the Hot Seat and Trey Lockerbie in the Spotlight. Read about Maroon 5's awesome tour stop in Chicago and listen to Honor Society's new song in Musiqvision.
I Love Monsters has released a new video for Keep Me Guessing and are also offering a free download on their Official Website.
The new Punk Goes Pop album is out now! You can buy it here.
Tweet for a Track's top ten downloaded free tracks this week are
- Good Times-Christofer Drew
- Don't Stop Now Live-The Maine
- Snoop Dogg Millionaire-Snoop Dogg
- nopainnogain demo-Christofer Drew
- Still (DJ Kermit and Ahmed Sirour remix)-Eric Roberson
- Fin de Semana-Raul Ornelas
- We Owe This To Ourselves-Anberlin
- Kings (acoustic/live)-Stephen Jerzak
- Feel It In My Soul-Austin Gibbs and Fairline
- Right Now-Austin Gibbs
The Aquabats are releasing their new EP this week; preorder it here.
Check out Blessthefall's new video for Hey Baby, Here's That Song You Wanted; watch it here.
A Skylit Drive, Motionless in White, and For All Those Sleeping are going on tour; check out dates here.
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Read more at Musiqtone...
Friday, November 5, 2010
Pizza with White Bean Puree & Fresh Tomatoes
A fragrant white bean puree and fresh tomato slices top this crisp pizza.
6 servings / 4 POINTS per serving / Active Time: 45 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
· Cornmeal for dusting baking sheets
· 1 pound Quick Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
· 1 cup White Bean Puree, (recipe follows)
· 6 vine-ripened plum tomatoes, sliced
· 2 scallions, thinly sliced
· 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
· 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
· Olive oil cooking spray
1. Set oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 500°F or the highest setting. Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with cornmeal.
2. Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Pierce the dough several times with a fork to prevent air bubbles from forming. Prebake the crust until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
3. Spread the crust with half of the white bean puree. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan over the puree. Arrange half of the tomato slices evenly over the pizza; sprinkle with half of the scallions, another 1 tablespoon Parmesan and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
4. Lightly mist with olive oil cooking spray. Bake the pizza until the bottom and edges of crust are browned, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining toppings on second crust. Slice and serve.
Per serving : 248 Calories; 3 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 1 g Mono; 3 mg Cholesterol; 45 g Carbohydrates; 9 g Protein; 6 g Fiber; 533 mg Sodium; 239 mg Potassium
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving / Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
- keep apartment clean and at least presentable
- get more sleep on work nights
- AM cardio sessions at least once a week
- Run on the Katy Trail-1 or 2 miles at least once a week
- Learn to better manage my money
- work on timing and being late less often (doing SO much better at this!)
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Monday, November 1, 2010
On Musiqtone, check out new vidoes by Katy Perry and Lady Antebellum in the Premiere Box, get to know Greyson Chance in the PopCan, meet Chris Koon, November's You Gotta Know Artist
The top 10 free tracks on Tweet for a Track this week are
Good Times by Christofer Drew
Snoop Dogg Millionaire by Snoop Dogg
Nopainnogain Demo by Christofer Drew
Feel It In My Soul by Austin Gibbs and Fairline
King (acoustic/live) by Stephen Jerzak
We Owe This To Ourselves by Anberlin
Fin De Semana by Raul Ornelas
Still (DJ Kermit and Ahmed Sirour Remix) by Eric Roberson
Right Now by Austin Gibbs
Who To Believe by Austin Gibbs and Fairline
Daytrotter has released sessions from Suckers, American War, The Diamond Center, Screaming Females, and Tokyo Police Club.