Friday, August 17, 2012

Spicy Bean and Vegetable Soup

The most difficult part of this recipe is soaking the beans.  I like to buy dried beans in bulk (either a bean mix, or buying a bunch of different beans and lentils to combine).  I'll usually start soaking my beans on Sunday and do the "quick soak" method.  Check out this a simple guide to the Quick Soak from EHow here.  This is another recipe where you I throw in whatever vegetables I have in my refrigerator and freezer.  This time, I used canned diced jalapenos, frozen spinach, frozen peas, baby carrots, and fresh chopped onions.  This recipe makes A LOT of soup-believe me when I say that I've been eating versions of the same base soup for 3 weeks now.  It freezes really well too!

Spicy Bean and Vegetable Soup



to buy:
1 package or at least 16 ounces of dried mixed beans
Cajun Seasoning
Frozen and/or fresh vegetables of your choice
3 Tbsp minced garlic

To do:

Quick soak and rinse your beans (if you decide to use canned beans, rinse them as well).  I use a big pot to make my soup and fill it about 3/4 of the way up with water on top of the beans.

Add chopped fresh vegetables, frozen vegetables, minced garlic, and seasonings to pot.

Boil!

Enjoy!!

No comments: