Thursday, August 16, 2012

Spicy Chicken Stir Fry with Brown Rice and Vegetables

Welcome to my world of multitasking...The reason I cook my chicken in the oven is because I can let it sit while I do other things and not have to keep an eye on it until I'm ready to prep it.

Spicy Chicken Stir Fry with Brown Rice and Vegetables




This is a fabulous and easy meal to make from whatever you have in your refrigerator and freezer. I started with frozen chicken breast stir fry strips, but you could definitely use last night's leftover chicken too. This serves 1, so keep that in mind if you're cooking for more than just yourself.

To buy:
1 Chicken breast or 1 serving of chicken, any way you like it
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
about 2 cup in total of vegetables of your choice (tonight, I used fresh broccoli that I roasted, frozen spinach, and frozen peas)
2 swirly drizzles of extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
Chicken Seasoning, Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Powder/Garlic Salt
Soy Sauce
Hot Sauce (I had Tabasco Sauce in my pantry)

To do:

Cook your brown rice-it's 1 cup of dry rice to 2 cups of water...add rice once water boils and leave on low heat until it's ready (usually 20 minutes on stovetop)-I had leftover rice tonight so I got to skip this part.

AND

Brown/cook your chicken-be sure to cut it into smaller, bite sized pieces and season it! (I put my chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes while my broccoli roasted...I then transferred it into my skillet to finish cooking it) If you choose to multitask like me, preheat your oven to 455 and get something else done while your chicken cooks and broccoli roasts.

Swirl some extra virgin olive oil into a skillet and start heating it. I had my stovetop on 8 out of 10. Once olive oil is heated, put your chicken and vegetables into the skillet.

Pour some soy sauce into the skillet and season as you stir-don't worry! Anything frozen will defrost and cook while you stir.

Once anything frozen has cooked through, add your rice and one more swirl of olive oil-I used leftovers tonight. Stir rice, chicken, vegetables, minced garlic, any other seasonings, a little bit more soy sauce, and tabasco sauce together. DON'T add too much soy sauce, you don't want wet stir fry; just pay attention, as you pour-I honestly don't know exactly how much I used, but it was just enough.

Once everything is stirred together and coated, you're ready to serve!

1 comment:

Roland Grady said...

I have a recipe for stir fry sauce here and I want to know if I cook this perfect. I hope that you can give me some tips on how to make the best stir fry recipe.