Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Store Bought Hummus No More!


So at this point, I'm sure that you all know how obsessed I am with dry bulk beans and their many delicious uses.  After discovering the quick soak, I have kind of gone crazy making tons of hummus because well...I could!  So two things I will say and then I'll get on with the recipe: You need a decent food processor...I wouldn't recommend the Ninja-mine kept getting stuck on the chick peas and well...that just isn't productive. The second: In order to make REAL Hummus (any type) you MUST use TAHINI...I don't care what all of the other websites say or call Hummus, real Hummus contains Tahini (therefore I do not think that edamame hummus would be good if it was real hummus).

Anyway, on with the recipe:

To buy:
Dried beans (your favorites, or mix and match-I mix all of my dried beans in a canister; right now, mine has black beans, garbanzo beans/chick peas, lentils, and red beans)

1-2 TBSP Tahini...if you look in the Kosher or Middle East section at your grocery store, you will find it...THIS is the brand I normally see...it's called Jovya, it's white and orange and has an Aladdin/Jafar guy on the top of it

1 TBSP Olive Oil

Fresh Lemon Juice (1 lemon)

Minced Garlic

Garlic Salt

And...any other spice you'd like to put-I like adding cayenne pepper in for a little kick


To do:
Soak your beans (here is the Quick Soak again if you need it)
Load your food processor with at least 2 cups of your soaked beans.  Add in 1-2 tbsp of Tahini, the juice of one lemon, about 1 TBSP Olive Oil.  If you don't like garlic or don't want any other taste than plain, stop here and process your hummus.
If you'd like to flavor your hummus, add 1 TBSP of minced garlic, and the rest of your seasonings and spices to taste.
Turn on your food processor and process until pretty smooth.

Enjoy with pita chips, on pita sandwiches, on turkey sandwiches, with carrot chips...the list goes on!
FYI: The standard serving of hummus is about 2 TBSP

No comments: